made this for Mother's Day Brunch..the two dishes went really well together. The salad was light and fresh. The frittata was filling and perfect for brunch!
Frittata with Pepperoni, Basil, and Fennel Seeds
2 teaspoons fresh basil
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
pinch of salt
1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup of frozen chopped spinach, thaw and squeeze dry
1/4 cup of sliced pepperoni
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1. Mix eggs with basil, fennel seeds, pepper, and salt. Stir in mozzarella, spinach, pepperoni, and parmesan.
2. In medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook until onions and peppers are soft. Stir in egg mixture. Stir to combine vegetables.
3. Preheat broiler to high. Let sit and cook until frittata stops jiggling and sides are beginning to set. Slide under broilers for 2-3 minutes to cook top.
4. Loosen sides with spatula and slide onto plate. Serve warm.
Salad Nicoise with Seared Ahi Tuna
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small box mixed greens
1 lb small red new potatoes, halved
1/2 lb French green beans, steams trimmed
1 lb. fresh tuna
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 cup nicoise olives
1. To make the vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a mason jar. Shake and let sit while preparing the salad.
2. Boil the potatoes in a large pot with water until tender. Cook the green beans in a large pot with water until just before tender. Hard boil the eggs.
3. Peel the shells off the eggs and cut them in small strip lengthwise.
4. Place a skillet over medium high heat. Rub the tuna with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Sear the tuna for about 4 minutes on each side. Pink in the middle.
5. Slice the tuna into 1/2 inch slices.
6. To assemble the salad, lay the lettuce down. Then lay the potatoes, green beans, eggs, and olives on top. Toss with the dressing. Top with the tuna.