there are tons of ways to make gumbo. this is the one I am making tonight...chicken sausage and shrimp! yummmmy!!! serve with my seasoned oyster crackers, saltines, french bread, whatever!
Chicken Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
2 cloves of garlic pressed
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 cup of flour
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cans of chicken broth
1 can of beef broth
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 lb of andouille sausage, chopped into half inch pieces
1 lb of shrimp, peeled and deveined (if you are in Dallas, get your shrimp and other seafood for that matter from Rex's)
1/2 cup of parsley
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Slowly mix in the flour and continuously stir until the roux becomes a dark brown. About 15 minutes.
2. Slowly mix in both of the broths and stir. Blend these ingredients together until consistent.
3. In a separate pan, cook all of the vegetables down with a teaspoon of vegetable oil. They are ready when they are tender.
4. Add all of the ingredients to the broth, except for the shrimp.
5. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer without the lid for about 45 minutes.
6. Cook the shrimp in a pan with a 1/2 cup of water and shrimp boil.
7. Add shrimp to gumbo and cook for 5-10 minutes longer.
8. Pour over individual bowls of white rice and season with cajun seasonings to taste.